#SocialSeminary on Facebook

Seminarians and Reconciliation Studies majors gathered for an opportunity to meet with Dr. Soong-Chan Rah, the keynote speaker for the Day of Common Learning, over dinner last Wednesday evening. Shout out to the Seminary Student Council and Dr. Brenda Salter McNeil for setting up this wonderful opportunity! Dr. Soong-Chan Rah is a Professor of Church […]

Semper Reformanda

The phrase “Always Reforming” (Semper reformanda, technically “Always to be reformed”) has been enlisted here, in connection with a Day of Common Learning at this University with what one might call pietist roots and/or sympathies, in its broadest possible (rather than any strictly historical) sense, as “encompassing notions of change, renewal, improvement, alteration for the better, and innovation,” whatever their disciplinary home, and whether they be properly theological in nature or not (Assistant Provost and Director of the Center for Scholarship and Faculty Development Dr. Margaret Brown).

#SocialSeminary on Facebook

Seminarians and Reconciliation Studies majors gathered for an opportunity to meet with Dr. Soong-Chan Rah, the keynote speaker for the Day of Common Learning, over dinner last Wednesday evening. Shout out to the Seminary Student Council for setting up this wonderful opportunity! Dr. Soong-Chan Rah is a Professor of Church Growth and Evangelism at North […]

#SocialSeminary on Facebook

If you’ve ever wondered whether seminary was for you, Seattle Pacific Seminary invites you to explore your calling and vocation at Discernment Weekend on Friday and Saturday, November 3-4 Discernment Weekend offers a day and a half of teaching, prayer, discussion, thoughtful challenge, worship, fellowship, and food with Seattle Pacific Seminary faculty and students, along […]

Violence as Spectacle, Sacrifice as Icon

Two events occurred last week, which I instinctively knew to be connected, though at first I couldn’t see exactly what the connection might be. As I pondered the question, my mind was flooded with a cascade of old memories and fresh reflections, which only added to my bewilderment. It was like dumping the pieces of a jigsaw puzzle onto a table. You know there is some kind of order to them all, but at the moment all you’ve got is a meaningless jumble of color patches. At this point, I think I’ve got the border pieces of my puzzle in place, but that’s about all. Maybe you can help me finish it.