SharePoint provides users to control access to specific files by a user who is editing a document. For example, you can check out a document for an extended period of time and others will be unable to make changes or see your changes until you check in the document. This is especially helpful when multiple people need to edit Excel documents. Checking out the document limits data loss or confusion.
Visit Microsoft for instructions or follow the instructions below.
1. Navigate to sharepoint.spu.edu with Internet Explorer (Windows) or Safari (OS X).
2. Click the checkbox next to the document you want to edit. Choose the Documents tab under Library Tools parent tab in the contextual Ribbon. Click on Check Out to lock the document for editing based on your user. Once the document is checked out to you only you can edit it.
3. Click on the document and choose how you want to edit it. Use the full version of Excel, for example, or edit it in the browser window (for basic edits). Work on the document how you normally do. Continue saving. When you are ready to check the document in for others to edit move to the next step.
4. To Check in the document you will need to navigate to sharepoint.spu.edu using Internet Explorer or Safari. Make sure the document is closed (not open in the full version of Excel, for example). Click the checkbox next to the document you want to check in. Choose the Documents tab the under Library Tools parent tab in the contextual Ribbon. Click on Check In to unlock the document. Once the document is checked in the changes are final and others can begin to edit the document again and see your changes.
5. When the document is checked in there is a prompt for comments. This is a helpful place to note what you did to the document. These appear in the version notes.
Questions or Assistance?
Contact the Tech Desk, which provides technology, tools, assistance, and space for students to discover, create, and share.
Seattle Pacific University Library, Lower Level
206.281.2211 | email@example.com | spu.edu/library/tech-desk