Student Stories

2012-13 SERVE Vocational Exploration Interns

nathan-neslonNathan Nelson

I am the mission and outreach intern at Bethany Community Church.  Elli Oswald, the director of mission and outreach is my direct supervisor.  The mission and outreach department at Bethany contains both local and global outreach programs and organizational partnerships.   My internship responsibilities include a variety of tasks and projects with both global and local focus.  I began my internship in September 2013 and it will conclude in June 2014.  The following will be a reflection of my experience thus far as well as include a projected timeline for current and future tasks and responsibilities.  Read More >>

SERVENatalie Pimblett

As an intern at the EEOC Seattle Field Office my primary responsibility is to process incoming charges of discrimination and prepare them for the legal team. This involves entering the Charging Party’s (CPs) information into the government database, making the initial contact with CPs, scheduling interviews, assisting with interviews, serving charges of discrimination, and making assessments of cases. Since I am the first person a CP comes in contact with I have had to learn how to effectively interact with the public. Working with a wide range of people from different ethnic, linguistic and social backgrounds requires me to be a patient and effective communicator and has shown me that kind words and a polite demeanor go a long way.  Read More>>

Meg Guchee

This summer I have had the opportunity to join three other staff members at a Renton-based non-profit, CryOut!, in empowering nine diverse high school students. These students were selected to engage in the first year of an internship program funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation that teaches professional skills and promotes leadership development. The summer culminates in a community concert, featuring young and established artists, as planned and implemented by these interns and staff.  My role at CryOut! emerged as I began delegating tasks and encouraging the youth to accomplish the necessary tasks to plan a community event. Read more >>

Mariel's photo

Mariel Rieland

Throughout my summer internship with Hope 2 One Life, I learned many technical skills, such as how to conceptualize and formulate a concrete program plan for a grant application, compile needs assessment data, form a program budget, etc.  However, I have also gained many insights into the non-profit world, including the importance of team dynamics, vision planning vs. strategic planning, and marketing.  I particularly enjoyed meeting one-on-one with my supervisor Nadine, and learning from her valuable personal experiences.  Read More >>

Hershberger.SusieSusie Hershberger

Making a distinction between the idea of “career” and “calling” has really made an impact on how I view not only my current internship and its responsibilities, but also my role as a follower of Christ.  In Sittser’s article, he makes the distinction between career as a secular word defined through the line of work an individual does to earn an income and keep society running. Calling is thought of as a purpose that is able to serve God in the world.  Though many individuals see these two words as synonymous, it is clear that a distinction must be made between them as a Christian. Read More >>

Chelsey Armstrong

Throughout my intern experience at World Relief I have learned so much. Starting with the basics I have learned about refugees who are people that are fleeing their countries because of a well-founded fear of persecution because of race, religion, nationality, membership or politics. Before my time at World Relief I honestly didn’t know what a refugee was, but now I feel incredibly well versed in the refugee crisis around the world. Read More >>

Ellie Baue

Seattle Pacific University (SPU) is a unique place where education is not confined within a classroom, but is treated as a dynamic way of life.  Learning happens in the dormitories with roommate conflict, in wrestling with topics at coffee shops, and in exploring careers at internships. During my last quarter at SPU, my time has been filled with learning.  One, in particular, that I thoroughly enjoyed is interning at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center. Read More >>

Alli Cutting

Through Seattle Tilth, I serve as the Garden Steward Intern of Bradner Gardens Park, located in the Mt. Baker neighborhood of southeast Seattle. I appreciate the multifaceted ways in which Seattle Tilth inspires and educates others to care for their own physical and emotional well-being, the health of their community, and to care for the Earth. The organization encourages Seattleites of all ages to get involved in urban gardening and farming. Read More >>

Emily Johnson

During my internship, I learned more than I imagined about communication, fundraising and the inner workings of a non-profit. My internship came at the most exciting time possible for the Washington Global Health Alliance, as I was there for the final months of planning and execution for a two month long exhibit and activity tent, as well as the planning and executing of three global health events that ranged in audience from 800-2600 people. Some of my favorite parts included working with such a dynamic and great staff who are excited about their work and want to find ways to get others excited about it as well. Read More >>

Glenn Jones

My Internship at the Moyer Foundation was an experience I was proud of. Being a Program intern was fun and I learned skills such as data entry and learning about media and programs like excel, that promoted the organization. I contributed to all the tasks necessary and I felt honored in having to join a non-profit that helps others as the Foundation does. I learned from this experience how a non-profit organization is run, how things run behind the scenes, how to expand and better my oral and written communication skills, and how to develop time management skills. Read More >>

Kenneth Kuhn

One of the things that my internship has made abundantly clear is how well my education has prepared me for ministry. I am an Educational Ministry major in my final year and when rubber met the road over the last quarter, I was ready for it. That alone is such a huge blessing. Most valuably, I learned how to take the knowledge that I have gained through my education and apply it to real life ministry. As I hinted above, the transition was really smooth and it was so fun to see it all come together! The best part of working with the children’s ministry team at Bethany Community Church was receiving tips from all of their hard earned lessons. They provided a lot of the polish for my rudimentary skill set. Read More >>

Kyle Peterman

I don’t know if I can put into exact words what I’ve learned at my internship but I know that I have been stretched, challenged, and learned more than I ever expected. I appreciate Sittser’s distinction between calling and career: “a calling often uses a career, though it should never be reduced to a career.” Through this internship I have been able to further discern my distinct calling and how that can be played out in at least one career, for example working as a Chaplain at a homeless shelter. However, I have also learned that a calling does not have to be restricted to a specific career path. Sittser’s definition of a calling as “a God-given purpose to use one’s time, energy, and abilities to serve God in the world,” helps me to realize that one of my callings is to work for justice and healing in the lives of those on the margins.
Read More >>

Sheila Kelley

I can honestly say that I have learned a lot working at EarthCorps. I have learned the importance of communication both internally and externally. Communication internally produces better departmental connection and support as well as better data which is really the lifeline of a non-profit’s outreach and financial support. External communication in the form of networking at events as well as newsletters, reports, among others to reach your supporters, both financially through individual donors and grantors, as well as the volunteers and home stays (those that host our international corpsmembers) that really make this organization a success is really non-replaceable. EarthCorps has managed to do this through structured meetings, open door policies, having good information systems and training on how to use them, as well as great processes around event coordination and consistent interaction with the community that supports the organization. Read More >>

Back to top